Conteplative meditation is the extension of one pointed concentration or calm abiding meditation . Even though it exists since centuries in all major religions of the world, rarely it is been adopted as a mainstream life science. Tibetan s are the ones who preserved this treasure, Dalai lama, Sogyal reponche and many more masters leading the monasteries across the world are living examples. Allan Wallace an American author with decades of meditative experience has done extensive studies on CM and called it as a science. CM works best when we achieve considerable mental pilancy followed by moral and ethical conduct * of life. Goutham buddha was a hindu by religion and started of his meditative journey according to hindu tradition and ultimately got Enlightened through contemplations. Only through contemplation we can know the true nature of birth, life and death. In this modern world nobody wants to talk about death,fear or negative feelings associated with death makes not to think of this precious aspect of life. As the famous saying goes ‘spiritually awakened person is the one who thinks of death every moment of his life’. Nothing has more transformative power than death . It is the antidote for all mental afflictions. People shunned buddhism just because its core principles revolves around death, they followed Christianity, islam and Hinduism which concentrates on individualism, outer looks & personality, killing animals & feasting on them during festivals, religion is a means to achieve political power, marketing goods & services resulting in the state of mind that looks far beyond its purview for happiness.
Death can come any time to anybody, close friend of mine, a spiritual teacher died suddenly of heart attack. We always live right under the nose of decease and death. Heartattack, cancer, stroke etc can strike us any moment. Accidents can happen with no fault of ours, body is extremely fragile, ordinary mind always projects human body as stronger than everything else in this world. Contemplative meditation on death has to be the number one priority in our lives.
Following points to conteplate on our death can be used.
1) We are moving in the car on the highway, visibility is poor due to fog, suddenly a speeding truck enters from the left, by the time we apply the brakes, it hits us badly, after multiple spins in the air, car bangs on to the ground
2) .Our body is entangled in the totally damaged car, unable to move, profoundly bleeding with multiple injuries and fractures, desperately shouting for help.
3) People gather around , after great effort body was pulled out of the car and begin shifting the blood soaked body to the nearest hospital. As we lie on the floor of the vehicle, we could see the confusion & fear lingering on their faces, all strangers, we search for loved ones, could find none, all our money, pocessions and power are useless, suddenly we feel terrified, we just want to live, struggling to breathe, eyes start to get blurry, as they reach the hospital doctor declares brought dead.
4) . The dead body is shifted back home, loved once are crying, relatives and friends are shocked for the untimely death. Face is disfigured, drenched with blood, body gets cleaned up and kept in the main entrance. People start visiting touching the holy water to our lips with tulsi.
5) .It is time for the final journey, our body draped with white shifted to the chair, loved ones grief hits the sky, people spends time talking about good & bad of our life. Finally shifted to the graveyard.
6) .After some statandrd procedures, our body is placed inside the neatly arranged wooden pieces. People start covering the entire body with wood, burning torch gets placed under the body.
7.) Within no second hair, skin and the entire body starts burning. The body which we thought invincible starts turning into charcoal . Ego, pride, hatred, Jealousy, anger, love, power, money, house, property everything turned into a small heap of ashes and gets dissolved with the mud and becomes one with the earth.
Above contemplations are based on 10 point death meditation, i altered it according to our present scenario. In the original meditation ‘ our body is lying in the open ground , vultures, crows and dogs are tearing apart our flesh, covered with ants and flies, stinking like hell, blood stained skeleton remains, termites gradually eats off the skeleton, ultimately mud remains’. We can conteplate on love, compassion, kindness etc. Conteplation is nothing but analysing true nature of life under the calm abiding nature of mind to lead happy and fulfilled life.
*moral & ethical conduct
Right thoughts, Right intentions, right speech, right action, right livelihood and renunciation.